Important: You do not need to install the S.o.S add-on on a Splunk instance where the S.o.S app is already installed. The S.o.S app ships with the same data inputs.
This S.o.St add-on allows you to pull in resource usage data from remote Splunk instances running on Linux or Unix for display in your existing instance of the Splunk on Splunk app. To enable this, install and configure this S.o.S add-on on Linux and Unix search-peers or forwarders to track the resource usage of Splunk.
NOTE: You must enable the data inputs included in this add-on before they can report resource usage information. By default, these inputs are disabled. Refer to the README file for more information.
For more details on how to set up S.o.S and its add-on to monitor Splunk's system resource usage, please refer to the following Splunk Answers:
Bugs Fixed in version 2.0.5
* [SUP-845] Replaced all mentions of the S.o.S "technology add-on" with
Bugs Fixed in version 2.0.4
* [SUP-672] Added an index definition for 'sos_summary_daily index' to indexes.conf.
* [SUP-627] Fixed an issue where the ps_sos.sh scripted input would no longer print out full process arguments when executed by Splunk 5.x on Solaris.
* [SUP-573] A new scripted input is now available to monitor the I/O usage of pooled search-heads on the shared NFS device: nfs-iostat_sos.py
* [SUP-541] Updated the app icon.
Bugs fixed in version 2.0.3
* [SUP-617] Removed an undesirable carriage return in the app.conf description string.
* [SUP-568] Added an outputs.conf file with configuration that, if enabled, ensures that _internal events are forwarded.
* [SUP-558] Synched up lsof_sos.sh with the version shipping in the SoS app.
* [SUP-545] Adapted the ps_sos.sh scripted input to the new splunkd process command line format in 5.x.
* [SUP-365] Added an app icon for the S.o.S TA for Unix and Linux.
Small changes to the README file.
Splunk AppInspect evaluates Splunk apps against a set of Splunk-defined criteria to assess the validity and security of an app package and components.
As a Splunkbase app developer, you will have access to all Splunk development resources and receive a 50GB license to build an app that will help solve use cases for customers all over the world. Splunkbase has 1000+ apps and add-ons from Splunk, our partners and our community. Find an app or add-on for most any data source and user need, or simply create your own with help from our developer portal.