Feedback welcome! You can contact me by emailing <email@example.com>.
You have questions or problems?
Join my slack channel Network Analysis #splunk4pcap
For issues please contact me via email or open a new issue on Github:
Emails will be usually answered between Monday-Friday 9am - 6pm European Time.
Get Started: https://schwartzdaniel.com/pcap-analyzer-for-splunk-getting-started/
The Splunk App for PCAP files will express the pcap files into helpful charts by converting the files into a Splunk readable CSV file
=> NOTES ABOUT THE DATA
I have suffered from timestamp problems with PCAP files over 500MB.
In case of big files I have split the pcap files into smaller files by using editcap.exe out of the Wireshark package.
-Index defined for the data: Default Index is choosed
-Sourcetype defined for the data:
=> GETTING STARTED
Getting started - Requirements!
Step 1: Make sure the ../SplunkForPCAP/bin/ folder has all administrative privileges to execute the batch and shell script
Step 2: Make sure you have tshark installed (delivered with Wireshark)
Step 3: Make sure you have set SPLUNK_HOME variable
To allow Splunk to collect your PCAP Files you have to specify where you have stored your pcap files.
You can specify your location in the Data Inputs (via Settings) --> PCAP File Location.
The app checks every 3 minutes for a new pcap file in your specified folder.
You will recognize that after you can see your pcap file indexed in Splunk it is removed from your folder. The new location of the PCAP File is: $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\pcap\PCAPConverted. That is happening to avoid that the automatic script converts your pcap file twice.
- What is tshark? TShark is a network protocol analyzer. It lets you capture packet data from a live network, or read packets from a previously saved capture file, either printing a decoded form of those packets to the standard output or writing the packets to a file
- PCAP Analyzer For Splunk writes a log about the added paths to $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/PCAPInputHistory.log
- Changed label to "PCAP Analyzer For Splunk"
- Fixed an error which is written into splunkd.log in case no file is found (on unix side)
- Added parts into the documentation (README.txt)
- changed support URL
- changed pcap file check from 1m to 3m (for bigger pcap files)
- tweaked pcap2csv shell script
- changed dashboards to see all pcap files (not only last 500 days)
- Fixed file permissions
Fixed python error for Windows 10 user
- Added SMB / SMB2 / RPC time value
- Fixed field validation with ARP protocol packets
- Optimized NFS Dashboard
- Fixed pcap2csv.(sh|bat) scripts to catch properly tshark versions 2.x.x
- Increased automatic execution interval from 30 seconds to 60 seconds
- Fixed Detailed Dashboard to avoid automatic execution at the beginning
- Added TCP Errors by SourceIP + TCP Error statistic panel into Detailed Dashboard
- Added DNS time + HTTP time
- Added MAC addresses into the Top Talker Dashboard
Fixed some variable issues in the scripts to convert pcap files.
- Added number of 3-way handshakes to the Detailed Dashboard
- Improved DNS Dashboard
- Improved Top Talker Dashboard
Fixed automatic script to catch tshark versions starting from 2.x.x
- Automatic script execution
- Dashboard optimization
Several bug fixes
- New Dashboard for DNS
- New Dashboard for Conversations (Sankey)
- Fixed field extraction problems
- Optimized script usage
- Fixed %Packet Loss Panel
- Fixed Unix pcap2csv.sh script
- Added pcap2csv scripts for different tshark versions
* Fixed Timestamp issues
* Simplified Dashboards
Added TCP stream value.
Dashboard which visualize network data from the Splunk App for Stream.
VLAN ID has been added
Round Trip Time Panel and Microburst Dashboard has been added
Splunk AppInspect evaluates Splunk apps against a set of Splunk-defined criteria to assess the validity and security of an app package and components.
As a Splunkbase app developer, you will have access to all Splunk development resources and receive a 50GB license to build an app that will help solve use cases for customers all over the world. Splunkbase has 1000+ apps and add-ons from Splunk, our partners and our community. Find an app or add-on for most any data source and user need, or simply create your own with help from our developer portal.