This technology add-on collects data from Isilon to be used by the EMC Isilon App for Splunk Enterprise.
- Splunk version 6.5 or 6.6 (For Add-on version 2.3 onwards), Splunk version 6.2,6.3 or 6.4 (Till Add-on version 2.2).
- Isilon running OneFS version 7.1.x or above.
- If using a forwarder, it must be a Heavy Forwarder( because the universal forwarder does not include python).
- Splunk forwarder system should have 4 GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU to run this app smoothly.
- The forwarder system must have network access (HTTPs) to Isilon system which is to be splunked.
- Appropriate user credentials to collect data from Isilon node(Need to provide any one node ip from the Isilon cluster)
- Admin user ID and password for collecting data from Isilon node.
HOW TO INSTALL
- Add-On app can be installed through UI using "Manage Apps" or extract zip file directly into /opt/splunk/etc/apps/ folder.
HOW TO CONFIGURE
- Add-on version 2.3 onwards: After installation, go to the Apps->Manage Apps->Set up TA_EMC-Isilon.
New set up screen will open, which will ask for Isilon node credentials. Provide ip address, username, password for any one Isilon node of your cluster(Please do not provide smart connector ip on setup screen. This TA expects actual ip of one of the node of Cluster). Also there are "Verify SSL Certificate?" and "SSL Certificate Path" fields. To execute API calls in secure way, User has to check "Verify SSL Certificate?" and provide certificate file path to "SSL Certificate Path" field. The certificate file must be stored on heavy forwarder. Also there is an option to provide index. Default value of index is isilon. User has to make sure, the provided index has already been created from menu Settings->Indexes. After providing these details, click save on Setup form. Once the setup has completed successfully, go to Settings->Advanced search->Search macros. Open entry 'isilon_index' from list and modify definition of macro according to index provided in setup form. The default definition is index=isilon.
Till Add-on version 2.2: After installation, go to the Apps->Manage Apps->Set up TA_EMC-Isilon. New set up screen will open which will ask for Isilon node credentials. Provide ip address, username, password for any one Isilon node of your cluster and save them.(Please do not provide smart connector ip on setup screen. This TA expects actual ip of one of the node of Cluster)
- Splunk REST API will encrypt the password and store it in Add-on's folder itself in encrypted form, REST modular script will fetch these credentials through REST API to connect to the Isilon node.
- Restart the Splunk
- To enable forwarding syslog data from Isilon cluster, perform the following step:
- Make following changes in file /etc/mcp/override/syslog.conf on Isilon node (copy from /etc/mcp/default/syslog.conf if not present) :
- Put @<forwarders_ip_address> in front of the required log file and !* at the end of the syslog.conf file.
- Restart syslogd using this command - /etc/rc.d/syslogd restart.
- In some cases, syslog.conf file is already placed at /etc/mcp/override directory location but it is empty. In that case just put the log file name and the forwarder ip in that file.
- Below is the cotent of sample syslog.conf:
Run the following commands to enable protocol, config and syslog auditing according to Isilon OneFS version:
Enable receiving the syslog data at forwarder. To do that, go to Settings -> Data Inputs -> UDP -> New. Provide port number(514 is recommended by Splunk), sourcetype as emc:isilon:syslog and index isilon to this data input entry.
Make sure while receiving syslogs on you have set following metadata - index=isilon, sourcetype=emc:isilon:syslog.
- For EMC Isilon cluster with oneFS version 7.x.x -
isi audit settings modify --protocol-auditing-enabled Yes
isi audit settings modify --config-auditing-enabled Yes
isi audit settings modify --config-syslog-enabled Yes
- For EMC Isilon cluster with oneFS version 8.x.x -
isi audit settings global modify --protocol-auditing-enabled Yes
isi audit settings global modify --config-auditing-enabled Yes
isi audit settings global modify --config-syslog-enabled Yes
isi audit settings modify --syslog-forwarding-enabled Yes
This app is compatible with "Authentication","Inventory" and "Performance" datamodels of Splunk CIM (Comman information model).
The main app dashboard can take some time to populate the dashboards once data collection is started. A good test to see that you are receiving all of the data we expect is to run this search after several minutes:
search `isilon_index` | stats count by sourcetype
In particular, you should see these sourcetypes:
If you don't see these sourcetypes, then
• For emc:isilon:rest, have a look at the messages for "emc:isilon:rest".
For Add-on version 2.3 onwards: User can see logs at $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/isilon/emc_isilon.log file.
For Add-on version till 2.2: Here is a sample search that will show messages:
index=_internal component="ExecProcessor" "EMC Isilon Error:" | table _time host log_level message
• For "emc:isilon:syslog", check the syslog file in /etc/mcp/override/syslog.conf - it should have @<forwarders_ip_address> in front of the required log file and !* at the end of the syslog.conf file. Also run following command to see whether the syslog forwarding in enabled or not:
For EMC Isilon cluster with oneFS version 7.x.x - isi audit settings view
For EMC Isilon cluster with oneFS version 8.x.x - isi audit settings global view
EMC Isilon forward syslog and audit logs on 514 udp port by default. Please make sure port 514 is open and reserver for Isilon syslogs only.
UPGRADE Technology Add-on (From V2.2 to V2.3)
Follow below steps to upgrade EMC Isilon Technology addon from version 2.2 to 2.3
• Download tar of EMC Isilon Technology addon from splunk base (v2.3)
• Extract tar of EMC Isilon Technology addon under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
• Execute upgrade python script under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA_EMC-Isilon/bin/upgrade_from_v2.2_to_v2.3.py.
On execution, script will ask for input and user has to provide already setup nodes as comma separated value.
Command to execute script:
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd python $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA_EMC-Isilon/bin/upgrade_from_v2.2_to_v2.3.py
User can verify configured nodes from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA_EMC-Isilon/local/passwords.conf
This script will add stanza for each node, given as input while executing script, in file $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA_EMC-Isilon/local/isilonappsetup.conf. Verify entry for each node in this file
• Restart Splunk