Splunk Enterprise data analytics help organizations leverage the data that their infrastructure and security tools provide to understand their security posture, pinpoint and investigate risks, and create alerts and reports. Security operations teams must also rapidly respond to any identified threats, violations and attacks in a prioritized manner. Any delay in response can result in significant security risks. The integrated combination of the Forescout platform’s continuous, agentless device visibility, network access control, dynamic segmentation and workflow orchestration capabilities with Splunk Enterprise’s data mining and Splunk Enterprise Security (ES)'s security information and event monitoring (SIEM) capabilities provides a solution that maximizes insight, dramatically reduces risk and increases operational efficiency.
Security blind spots are removed by having Splunk easily consume comprehensive information from Forescout such as:
• Real-time inventory of all network connected virtual and physical devices across IT, BYOD, Guest, IoT and Operational Technology (OT), including new devices with an IPv6 address. Device data can also be sent without dependency on IP address for reporting flexibility.
• Endpoint information, such as device type, classification, network connection, operating system, applications, users, peripherals and much much more
• More accurate user and location context by resolving overlapping IP addresses and layering tenant ID with IP address in meta data
• Device security posture and compliance gaps
• Authentication, access, tenant ID and network location information
• Threat indicators on devices detected by vulnerability scanning
Capitalizing on Forescout's rich contextual information and policy-driven actions together with Splunk helps you tackle the following use cases.
Forescout discovers, classifies and assesses all connected devices; compiles this information in the Splunk CIM format and shares it with Splunk. The additional device information from Forescout includes user information, device type, device configuration, network access patterns over time, network location and security posture. Splunk correlates rich contextual data from Forescout with other data sources and uses this information for long-term storage, swift anomaly detection and accurate trend analysis.
Splunk correlates rich device context from the Forescout platform with other data sources to better identify and prioritize incidents. When Splunk receives alerts from other data sources about a suspicious activity on a device, it shares the information with Forescout. Forescout provides high-value user, network and device context to Splunk. Splunk leverages this additional insight to determine if a suspicious event is actually malicious or violates policy and escalates or reduces the severity of the event based on the device and user context, such as highly privileged or less trusted users.
Forescout scans all connected devices for indicators of compromise (IOCs) and policy violations in real time when alerted by Splunk. Through Splunk’s Adaptive Operations Framework, Splunk operators can initiate Forescout actions—such as isolating or quarantining potentially compromised or noncompliant endpoints depending on the severity of the violation. Forescout can also dynamically trigger policy-based mitigation and response actions until the deviant device is remediated. Forescout then delivers the results back to Splunk to close the loop. Administrators can view the entire lifecycle and final outcome of the event in the Splunk dashboard.
Forescout integration with Splunk Enterprise, Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) is enabled by the
Forescout eyeExtend for Splunk module paired with the Forescout App for Splunk along with the Forescout Adaptive Response and Forescout Technology Add-ons for Splunk.
The Forescout App for Splunk provides customizable, out-of-the-box queries and dashboards to visualize Forescout data in Splunk, displaying a wealth of information such as:
• Device compliance status
• User types (registered corporate users or guests)
• Device types connected to the network and connection details
• Patterns of network access over time
• Policy trends
• Forescout system health information
• Incident response action status
The Forescout Technology Add-on for Splunk is a required component to streamline data transfer between Forescout and Splunk Enterprise. This Add-on maps Forescout collected device properties to the Splunk Common Information Model (CIM) and extracts events based on Forescout data. The Forescout Technology Add-on also maintains Forescout credentials for communications between Forescout and Splunk Enterprise.
Splunk's Adaptive Operations Framework describes a complete action flow, which includes requesting an action be applied to an endpoint device and tracking the status of the action taken.
This integration supports the Splunk Adaptive Operations workflow as follows:
-The Forescout App for Splunk maintains a list of available actions from the Forescout platform. Splunk can instruct the Forescout platform to respond to potential threats by applying any of these actions to endpoints that match search/trend criteria.
-To complete the action flow, the Forescout platform reports the status of actions applied to endpoints.
These closed-loop incident response workflows allow you to streamline security operations and minimize business risk by automating the incident management lifecycle with a complete audit trail that also helps with policy refinements.
* Certified for Splunk and Splunk Cloud
* Includes fix for the following issues
1. Incorrect password file retrieval in some cases
2. Setup and configuration page not displayed in certain instances
• Support for Splunk Enterprise Security and the Splunk Adaptive Response Framework
• Enhanced Mapping of CounterACT Data to CIM Models
• Apply Any CounterACT Action from Splunk Searches
• New Properties and Policies for Splunk Alerts
• New Dashboards
Splunk AppInspect evaluates Splunk apps against a set of Splunk-defined criteria to assess the validity and security of an app package and components.
As a Splunkbase app developer, you will have access to all Splunk development resources and receive a 10GB license to build an app that will help solve use cases for customers all over the world. Splunkbase has 1000+ apps and add-ons from Splunk, our partners and our community. Find an app or add-on for most any data source and user need, or simply create your own with help from our developer portal.