The NetApp SANtricity Performance App for Splunk Enterprise provides visibility into the health and performance of NetApp E-Series and EF-Series storage systems. This document is intended to provide installation and deployment information for the app and background omits components.
For additional support with the NetApp SANtricity Performance App for Splunk Enterprise, please visit: http://community.netapp.com/t5/E-Series-SANtricity-and-Related-Plug-ins-Discussions/bd-p/e-series-santricity-and-related-plug-ins-discussions.
Splunk 6.1 or higher installed On a Linux server.
NetApp E-Series/EF-Series Storage Arrays (any E-Series or EF-Series model running controller firmware 7.84 or higher).
Note: It may be necessary to enable the "Legacy Management Interface" on newer E-Series controllers in order for them to provide data to the NetApp SANtricity Performance App.
Storage capacity for configuration and performance data to accommodate one year of data collection. Additional Splunk license may be required.
For smaller storage arrays up to 24 drives, estimate 100MB per day per storage array.
For larger storage arrays of 300 drives or more, estimate 500MB per day per storage array.
NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy v1.3 or greater.
Download the latest version from from https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software/?product=E-Series+SANtricity+Web+Services+%28REST+API%29&platform=WebServices.
Provides REST API to the storage systems and is available for both Windows and Linux systems.
NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy v2.0 or greater is required to create a hierarchical folder structure of arrays. This can be done through the REST API.
Technology Add-on for NetApp SANtricity - The data collection app, which also requires python.
NetApp SANtricity Performance App - The data visualization app.
These instructions describe installation of all the components of the solution on a single server where Splunk version 6.1 or higher is installed. Because this node requires a Python interpreter to drive the REST collection mechanism, it is simpler if this is a full instance of Splunk (splunk package, not splunk forwarder).
Note: These instructions assume all the components described here are installed in a single directory; that is Splunk Enterprise, Web Services Proxy, and the app components.
Note: The data collection app will ingest a variable amount of data, depending upon the number and size of the monitored arrays. The volume of data may exceed the bounds of the trial license provided with the base package (500MB / day). Therefore, it may be required to purchase a separate Splunk license to account for the data of the monitored arrays.
1 INSTALLATION OF NETAPP SANTRICITY WEB SERVICES PROXY
* Download an appropriate version of NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy from NetApp Support.
* Install NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy according to the included installation instructions appropriate for your environment.
* If using NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy 3.0+, uncheck the box to Validate storage array certificates OR manage certificates for communication between Web Services and each array outside of Splunk.
* Modify the wsconfig.xml file included with your installation.
* Set env key="stats.poll.interval" to an appropriate interval in seconds (the suggested default is 60)
* Set env key="stats.poll.save.history" to 1 (or greater if appropriate)
* ONLY if using NetApp SANtricity Web Services Proxy 3.0+, set env key="trust.all.arrays" to true OR manage certificates for communication between Web Services and each array outside of Splunk
* See more information about these settings in the appropriate User Guide at NetApp Support
2 Install the NetApp SANtricity Performance App.
* Within the Splunk user interface an "app:" menu appears within the upper left corner. Clicking this pops up a button reading Manage Apps.
* From within the next page (listing the installed applications), the button Install app from file will allow an administrator to upload an app directly to Splunk from their local system.
* Restart Splunk if required.
3 Install the Technology Add-on for NetApp SANtricity.
Note: Follow the same steps as did for app to install add-on.
4 CONFIGURATION OF Add-on.
* Navigate to the NetApp SANtricity Add-on, click on the "Configuration" page, go to the "Account" Tab then click "Add", fill in "Proxy Instance", "Web Proxy", "Verify SSL Certificate", "Username" and "Password".
* Navigate to NetApp SANtricity Add-on, click on "Inputs" page and then click "Create New Input"->"NetApp ESeries Monitor" and fill the "Name", "Interval", "Index", "Proxy Instance" and "System ID" fields.
* Navigate to NetApp SANtricity Add-on, click on "Inputs" page and then click "Create New Input"->"NetApp ESeries Register and Monitor" and fill the "Name", "Interval", "Index", "Proxy Instance", "IP 1", "IP 2" and "Password" fields.
NOTE: By default, all connections will be done with ssl verification. To disable SSL Verification, refer To Disable SSL Certificate Verification.
1 A large environment in this context has more than 50 storage arrays to be monitored. For information about distributed deployment for Splunk, please visit Splunk's documentation:
2 Splunk version 6.4 or higher must be installed on the data collection node. Because this node requires a Python interpreter to drive the REST collection mechanism, it is simpler if this is a full instance of Splunk (splunk package, not splunkforwarder).
Note: The data collection app will ingest a variable amount of data, depending upon the number and size of the monitored arrays. The volume of data may exceed the bounds of the trial license provided with the base package (500 MB per day per storage array). Therefore, it may be required to purchase a separate Splunk license to account for the data of the monitored arrays.
3 Configure the outputs.conf configuration to specify where the collector should send its data. This destination may in fact include several distinct indexers, across which the data will be spread. Consult the administrator of the Splunk deployment to figure out the appropriate settings
4 For rest of the installation, steps 1-4 in the previous section can be followed
verify_ssl = 0parameter to the default stanza in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-netapp_eseries/local/ta_netapp_eseries_account.conf.
o Migrated NetApp SANtricity Add-on for Splunk with AOB version 4.1.0
Python 2 and 3 Support
Splunk 8.0.x compatibility
Upgrade to version 2.0.0 to get the following features:
As a Splunkbase app developer, you will have access to all Splunk development resources and receive a 10GB license to build an app that will help solve use cases for customers all over the world. Splunkbase has 1000+ apps from Splunk, our partners and our community. Find an app for most any data source and user need, or simply create your own with help from our developer portal.