Copyright© 2014 Brocade Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Source type(s): Brocade Network Operating System (NOS), Fabric Operating System (FOS), FastIron (FI), and NetIron (NI) devices.
The Brocade app can be downloaded, installed, and configured to receive Brocade device data by either using the splunk app setup screen or by manually installing and configuring the app. This app reads from the source type UDP syslog
Setup and configuration
· Install in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Brocade
· Restart splunk
In order to receive events on the Brocade dashboard, all the devices to be monitored have to register the splunk server as the syslog recipient. The CLI commands to register for various Brocade devices are provided below
FOS devices: Registration process is done using the command syntax:
· syslogadmin --set -ip [splunk sever IP address]
· Set single or multiple syslog IPV4 or IPV6 IP address syslogadmin --set -ip [splunk sever IP address]
· Remove a syslog IP address syslogadmin --remove -ip [splunk sever IP address]
· Show the configured syslog IP addresses syslogadmin --show –ip
NOS devices: Registration process is done using the command syntax:
· logging syslog-server [Splunk sever IP address]
· Set single or multiple syslog IPV4 or IPV6 IP address logging syslog-server [Splunk sever IP address]
· Remove a syslog IP address no logging syslog-server [Splunk sever IP address]
· Show the configured syslog IP addresses show running-config logging syslog-server
· For the standalone and fabric chassis (SA/FC) node, the commands apply the configuration to local node only. For the Management Cluster node, the command applies the configuration to all the jointed cluster nodes.
FI/NI devices: Specifying a syslog server as splunk server is done using the command to specify a Syslog server, enter a command such as the following syntax:
· logging host [splunk sever IP address]
· Specifying an additional Syslog server - To specify an additional Syslog server, enter the logging host [ip-addr] command again, as in the following example. You can specify up to six syslog servers. Remove a syslog IP address - no logging host [splunk sever IP address]
Consult Splunk Answers or contact the author via: email@example.com
The release of the Splunk App for Brocade version 1 enables network and storage administrators to monitor Brocade Fibre Channel and Ethernet devices through sharing syslog messages, including;
• Device interfaces
• System reboots
• Threshold violations
This is an ongoing development project at Brocade, with many planned enhancements, upgrades, and new features.
Splunk AppInspect evaluates Splunk apps against a set of Splunk-defined criteria to assess the validity and security of an app package and components.
As a Splunkbase app developer, you will have access to all Splunk development resources and receive a 10GB license to build an app that will help solve use cases for customers all over the world. Splunkbase has 1000+ apps and add-ons from Splunk, our partners and our community. Find an app or add-on for most any data source and user need, or simply create your own with help from our developer portal.